Kenya has a road network of about 177,800 km out of which only 63,575 km is classified. The classified road network has increased from 41,800 km at independence to 63,575 km today, a development rate of less than 600 km per annum. During the same period, the paved road length grew from 1,811 km to 9,273 km. It is presently estimated that about 70% (44,100 km) of the classified road network is in good condition and is maintainable while the remaining 30% (18,900 km) requires rehabilitation or reconstruction. Table 1 below gives a summary of classified road network in Kenya.
Table 1: Classified Road Network.
Length by Surface Type (km)
Table 1: Classified Road Network
|Road class||Premix||Length by Surface Type (km)
|International Trunk Roads (A)||1,244.91||1,563.81||715.11||94.48||3,618.31|
|National Roads (B)||350.21||1,166.26||819.29||346.14||2,681.90|
|Primary Roads (C)||642.89||2,198.16||3,601.64||1,552.90||7,995.59|
|Secondary Roads (D)||76.63||1,183.10||5,701.93||4,087.73||11,049.39|
|Minor Roads (E)||165.81||542.04||8,215.89||17,982.57||26,906.31|
|Special Purpose Roads||24.88||114.63||4,929.69||6,253.78||11,322.98|